Kia Sportage: General Safety Information and Caution
Please read the following precautions carefully before performing the airbag
Observe the instructions described in this manual, or the airbags could
accidentally deploy and cause damage or
- Except when performing electrical inspections, always turn the ignition
switch OFF and disconnect the negative cable from the battery, and wait at
least thee minutes before beginning work.
The contents in the memory are not erased even if the ignition switch is
turned OFF or the battery cables are
disconnected from the battery.
- Before removing any of the SRSCM parts (including the disconnection of
the connectors), always disconnect the
Airbag Handling and Storage
Do not disassemble the airbags; it has no serviceable parts. Once an airbag
has been deployed, it cannot be
repair ed or reused.
For temporary storage of the air bag during service, please observe the
- Store the removed airbag with the pad surface up.
- Keep free from any oil, grease, detergent, or water to prevent damage to
the airbag assembly.
- Store the removed airbag on secure, flat surface away from any high heat
source (exceeding 85 C/185 F).
- Never perform electrical inspections to the airbags, such as measuring
- Do not positron yourself in front of the airbag assembly during removal,
inspection, or replacement.
- Refer to the scrapping procedures for disposal of the damaged airbag.
- Be careful not to bump or impact the SRS unit or the side impact sensors
or front impact sensors whenever the
ignition switch is ON, wait at least three minutes after the ignition switch
is turned OFF before begin work.
- During installation or replacement, be careful not to bump (by impact
wrench, hammer, etc.) the area around the
SRS unit and the side impact sensor and the front impact sensors. The
airbags could accidentally deploy and
cause damage or injury.
- Replace the front airbag module, SRSCM, FIS when deploying the front
airbag. Replace the airbag wiring when
the airbag wiring get damaged. Replace the side airbag module, the curtain
airbag module. SRSCM, SIS when
deploying the side airbag. Replace the airbag when the airbag wiring get
- After a collision in which the airbags or the side air bags did not
deploy, inspect for any damage or any
deformation on the SRS unit and the side impact sensors. If there is any
damage, replace the SRS unit, the front
impact sensor and/or the side impact sensors.
- Do not disassemble the SRS unit, the front impact sensor or the side
- Turn the ignition switch OFF, disconnect the battery negative cable and
wait at least three minutes before
beginning installation or replacement of the SRS unit.
- Be sure the SRS unit, the front impact sensor and side impact sensors
are installed securely with the mounting
- Do not spill water or oil on the SRS unit, or the front impact sensor or
the side impact sensors and keep them
away from dust.
- Store the SRS unit, the front impact sensor and the side impact sensors
in a cool (15 ~ 25ºC/ 59 ~ 77ºF) and
dry (30 ~ 80% relative humidity, no moisture) area.
SRS wiring can be identified by special yellow outer covering Observe the
instructions described in this section.
- Never attempt to modify, splice, or repair SRS wiring. If there is an
open or damage in SRS wiring, replace the harness.
- Be sure to install the harness wires so that they are not pinched, or
interfere with other parts.
- Make sure all SRS ground locations are clean, and grounds are securely
fastened for optimum metal-to-metal
contact. Poor grounding can cause intermittent problems that are difficult
Precautions for Electrical Inspections
Spring-laded Lock Connector
Some SRS system connectors have a spring-loaded lock.
To release the lock, pull the spring-loaded sleeve (A) and the slider (B),
while holding the opposite half of the
Pull the connector halves apart. Be sure to pull on the sleeve and not on the
Hold both connector halves and press firmly until the projection (C) of the
sleeve-side connector clicks to lock.
Warning Lamp Activation
Warning Lamp Behavior after Ignition On
As soon as the operating voltage is applied to the SRSCM ignition input, the
SRSCM activates the warning lamp for
a LED lamp check.
The lamp shall turn on for 6 seconds during th
Component Replacement After Deployment
Before doing any SRS repairs, use the GDS Pro to check for DTCs. Refer to the Diagnostic Trouble Code list for repairing of the related DTCs.
When the front airbag(s) deployed after a collision, replace
1. The function of cluster ionizer is cleaning air by sterilizing and
dissolving of air conditioner.
2. The function of cluster ionizer is
Description and Operation
The valve body is essential to automatic transaxle control and consists of
various valves used to control the oil feed
from the oil pump. Specifically, these valves consist of pressure regulator