Kia Sportage: High Pressure Fuel Pump
In case of removing the high pressure fuel pump, high pressure fuel pipe,
delivery pipe, and injector, there may be
injury caused by leakage of the high pressure fuel. So don't do any repair work
right after engine stops.
1. Turn the ignition switch OFF and disconnect the battery negative (-)
2. Release the residual pressure in fuel line (Refer to "Release Residual
Pressure in Fuel Line" in this group).
When removing the fuel pump relay, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) may
Delete the code with the GDS after completion of "Release Residual Pressure in
Fuel Line" work.
3. Remove the air cleaner and the air intake hose (Refer to "Intake And
Exhaust System" in EM group).
4. Disconnect the fuel pressure regulator valve connector (A)
5. Remove the ignition coil (B).
6. Disconnect the fuel feed tube quick-connector (A).
7. Remove the high pressure fuel pipe.
- Remove the installation nut (B) from the high pressure fuel pump with
the special service tool [SST No.: 09314-3Q100]
- Remove the installation nut (C) from the delivery pipe with the special
service tool [SST No.: 09314-3Q100]
- Remove the purge control solenoid valve (Refer to "Purge Control
Solenoid Valve" in this group).
- Remove the function block (D). and then remove the high pressure fuel
8. Remove the installation bolts (E), and then remove the high pressure fuel
pump from the cylinder head assembly.
Unscrew in turn the two bolts in small step (0.5 turns). In case of fully
unscrewing one of the two bolts with
the other bolt installed, the housing surface of the cylinder head may be broken
because of tension of the
- Be sure to check the low pressure fuel hose quick-connector (A) is
completely connected to the high pressure
fuel pump until a confirmation 'click' sound is heard.
- Be sure to re-check the low pressure fuel hose is completely
connected to the high pressure fuel pump by
pulling it after connecting.
- Be sure to install the high pressure fuel pipe (B) with the specified
- Because fuel leak may cause fire, securely inspect leakage of all
fuel line connection parts at engine start
- Before installing the high pressure fuel pump, position the roller
tappet in the lowest position by rotating the
crankshaft. Otherwise the installation bolts may be broken because of
tension of the pump spring.
- Do not reuse the used bolt.
- Do not reuse the used high pressure fuel pipe.
- When tightening the installation bolts of the high pressure fuel
pump, tighten in turn the bolts in small step (0.5
turns) after tightening them with hand-screwed torque.
- Install the component with the specified torques.
- First hand-tighten the fasteners fully until they are not fastened
any more in order to have them inserted in place
and then completely tighten to the specified torque using a torque wrench.
If not tightening the bolts or nuts in a straight line with the mating bolt
holes or fittings, it may cause a fuel leak
due to broken threads.
- Note that internal damage may occur when the component is dropped. In
this case, use it after inspecting.
- Apply engine oil to the О-ring (A) of the high pressure fuel pump,
the roller tappet (B), and the protrusion (C).
Also apply engine oil to the groove on the location where the protrusion (C)
1. Installation is reverse of removal.
Use the special service tool [SST No.: 09314-3Q100] to install the high
pressure fuel pipe.
High pressure fuel pump installation bolt: 12.8 ~ 14.7 N.m (1.3 ~ 1.5
kgf.m, 9.4 ~ 10.9 lb-ft)
High pressure fuel pipe installation nut: 26.5 ~ 32.4 N.m (2.7 ~ 3.3
kgf.m. 19.5 ~ 23.9 lb-ft)
High pressure fuel pipe function block installation bolt: 7.8 ~ 11.8
N.m (0.8 ~ 1.2 kgf.m. 5.8 ~ 8.7 lb-ft)
Identification Number Locations
Identification Number Description
Vehicle Identification Number
World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI)
KNA: Passenger vehicle, MPV (Multipurpose Passenger Vehicle)/SUV
Battery Caution Label Description
Warning / Caution Label (Cont'd)
Keep flames or sparks away from the
Wear eye protection when charging or working near a battery
Reduce the speed and shift to a lower
gear before you start down a long or
steep downgrade. If you don't shift
down, you might have to use your
brakes so much that they would get hot
and no longer operate efficiently.
On a long uphill gra
The following explains how to fasten the
passenger's and rear seat belts.
Fastening your seat belt:
Combination retractor type seat belts
are installed in the rear seat positions to
help accommodate the installation of
Child Restraint Syste