Kia Sportage: Road warning
When an emergency situation occurs
while driving or when you park by the
edge of the roadway, you must alert
approaching or passing vehicles to be
careful as they pass. For this, you should
use the hazard warning flasher.
Hazard warning flasher
The hazard warning flasher serves as a
warning to other drivers to exercise
extreme caution when approaching,
overtaking, or passing your vehicle.
It should be used whenever emergency
repairs are being made or when the
vehicle is stopped near the edge of a
Depress the flasher switch with the
ENGINE START/STOP button in any
position. The flasher switch is located in
the center fascia panel. All turn signal
lights will flash simultaneously.
- The hazard warning flasher operates
whether your vehicle is running or not.
- The turn signals do not work when the
hazard flasher is on.
- Care must be taken when using the
hazard warning flasher while the vehicle
is being towed.
In case of an emergency while
If an emergency situation occurs while
driving, stay calm and take the following
If the vehicle stalls while driving
- Reduce your speed gradually, keeping
a straight line.
- Move cautiously off the road to a safe
- Turn on your hazard warning flasher.
- Try to start the vehicle again. If your
vehicle will not start, contact an
authorized Kia dealer or seek other
If the engine stalls at a crossroad
- If the engine stalls at a crossroad or
crossing, set the shift lever in the N
(Neutral) position and then push the
vehicle to a safe place.
If you have a flat tire while driving
- Take your foot off the accelerator
pedal and let the vehicle slow down
while driving straight ahead.
Do not apply the brakes immediately
or attempt to pull off the road as this
may cause a loss of control.
- When the vehicle has slowed to such
a speed that it is safe to do so, brake
carefully and pull off the road.
- Drive off the road as far as possible
and park on firm level ground.
If you are on a divided highway, do
not park in the median area between
the two traffic lanes.
- When the vehicle is stopped, turn on
your emergency hazard flashers, set the parking brake and put the
- Have all passengers get out of the
vehicle. Be sure they all get out on the
side of the vehicle that is away from
- When changing a flat tire, follow the
instruction provided later in this section.
If the engine will not start
When the engine doesn't start, first
check to see how much fuel there is and
whether the battery is discharged.
If engine doesn't turn over or
turns over slowly
- Be sure the shift lever is in N (Neutral)
or P (Park) and the emergency brake
- Check the battery connections to be
sure they are clean and tight.
- Turn on the interior light. If the light
dims or goes out when you operate
the starter, the battery is discharged.
- Check the starter connections to be
sure they are securely tightened.
Do not push or pull the vehicle to start it.
This could cause damage to your vehicle.
Refer to "Jump-starting"
If engine turns over normally but
does not start
- Check the fuel level and add fuel if
- With the ENGINE START/STOP button
in the OFF position, check all connectors
at the ignition coils and spark
plugs. Reconnect any that may be disconnected
- Check the fuel line in the engine compartment.
- If the engine still does not start, call an
authorized Kia dealer or seek other
When the vehicle will not start because
of low battery power, you may need to
jump start the vehicle.
Connect cables in numerical order and
disconnect in reverse order.
Jump-starting can be dangerous if done
If your temperature gauge indicates
overheating, you experience a loss of
power, or hear a loud pinging or knocking,
the engine will probably be too hot.
If this happens, you should:
Pull off the road and stop as soon as it
is safe to do
Vehicle handling instructions
Do not park or stop the vehicle near
flammable items such as leaves,
paper, oil, and tire. Such items placed
near the exhaust system can become
a fire hazard.
When an engine idles at a high speed
The fan speed can be set to the desired
speed by operating the fan speed control
To change the fan speed:
Press button right for higher speed, or
press button left for lower speed.
Type A (button)
Type B (control panel)