Description and Operation
Special Tool Required
Deployment tool 0957A-34100A
Before scrapping any airbags or side airbags (including those in a whole vehicle to be scrapped), the airbags or side airbags must be deployed. If the vehicle is still within the warranty period, before deploying the airbags or side airbags, the Technical Manager must give approval and/or special instruction. Only after the airbags or side airbags have been deployed (as the result of vehicle collision, for example), can they be scrapped. If the airbags or side airbags appear intact (not deployed), treat them with extreme caution. Follow this procedure.
Deploying Airbags In The Vehicle
If an SRS equipped vehicle is to be entirely scrapped, its airbags or side airbags should be deployed while still in the vehicle. The airbags or side airbags should not be considered as salvageable parts and should never be installed in another vehicle.
1. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and disconnect the battery negative cable and wait at least thee minutes.
2. Confirm that each airbag or side airbag is securely mounted.
3. Confirm that the special tool is functioning properly by following the check procedure.
4. Place the deployment tool at least thirty feet (10meters) away from the airbag.
5. Connect a 12 volt battery to the tool.
6. Push the tool's deployment switch. The airbag should deploy (deployment is both highly audible and visible: a loud noise and rapid inflation of the bag, followed by slow deflation)
7. Dispose of the complete airbag. No pails can be reused. Place it in a sturdy plastic bag and seal it securely.
Deploying the Airbag Out of the Vehicle
If an intact airbag has been removed from a scrapped vehicle, or has been found defective or damage during transit, storage or service, it should be deployed as follows:
1. Confirm that the special is functioning properly by following the check procedure on this page.
2. Position the airbag face up, outdoors on flat ground at least thirty feet (10 meters) from any obstacles or people.
Disposal of Damaged Airbag
1. If installed in a vehicle, follow the removal procedure of driver's airbag front passenger's and side airbag.
2. In all cases, make a short circuit by twisting together the two airbag inflator wires.
3. Package the airbag in exactly the same packing that the new replacement part come in.